upper box


CHARLIE || ART || LIFE || ARTICLES || CHALLENGES || OTHER STUFF

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Day 4 (Here we go challenge) - Your view on religion

     This is quite a difficult topic for me, I'm sorry.
     I'm a christian. Evanjelic - a protestant. But not completely. Let me tell you my religion story...
     I grew up in a family of atheists. All of my grandparents were evanjelic, but my parents didn't believe. I could even hear my father often say that religious people are fanatics, foolish, liers, he just hated them. But my parents divorced when I was 12. Yeah, it took them a long time. I was relieved when it happened at last.
     In the 9th grade when I was 15 something broke in me. It was my first time attending a meeting of church youngsters. The community amazed me. All the people were nice to me, smiled, you could feel the positive energy shining from them. So I decided to join. I started reading the Bible, learning about Jesus. It felt so right and I was happy the Holy Spirit showed me the good path, the path to the Heavenly kingdom and salvation.
     At that time my depression was developing. I cut myself on daily basis but kept praying for it to stop. Those times were complicated. It didn't stop. But that's a different story.
     I had a baptism and a confirmation. Those were the happy moments in a long road of my desperation.
     I continued going to church meetings but everytime I came home I was just more and more depressed. It was hard to listen to about how tainted I was. How important it is to try not to sin. For me it was really hard.
     As time went by I realised I didn't like going there anymore.
     This may sound harsh, but I don't need church. I don't need the Bible. I don't need religion. I only need my God who is helping me through everything. He's my savior.
     I'm a lesbian. Most of the christians say it's a sin. But the way I met my girlfriend couldn't be anything but God's will. He knows what He's doing. He saved me from the deepest shit I've ever been to by sending her to my life. That's how I know loving her is not a sin. I don't feel any guilt at all. And I don't care what anyone thinks anymore.
     In the Bible there's written a lot of things, a lot of rules, a lot of advices. It says it's written by people led by the Holy Spirit. It's something I'm not sure I can believe. I mean, what if? People don't always say the truth. Some of them could invent it.
     It says everyone needs church, their community where they belong and can discuss their faith. I think not everyone needs this. The most important is God. And He's always with us.
     My point is that religion is not so important. Any religion, not only this one. For some it is all they have, other ones don't need it, they only need God, which they might not realise but they'll find out sooner or later. God stands by their side all the time. There's only one God. And it doesn't matter if someone's a christian, a muslim, a hinduist, a budhist, a jewish or anything. The main point of them all is not to be an asshole and do what is right to do.
     There's one more thing that bothers me about religion. It's the society, again. I know, the Bible says to spread the Word, but hey, don't cram it into people's asses when they refuse. It's more contraproductive than good. Don't worry, they'll find the way to God.
     And on the other side, if you're not religious, don't be mad at religious people. Don't judge them. Don't call them words. That's only pathetic.

1 comment:

  1. This one is my favourite so far, opinion-wise. It's fun because I'd thought it was the other way 'round - that it was the community that held you there, helped you maintain your faith.
    I think the main problem is that Christians tend only pick from the Bible what suits them the best at the given moment - they go on and on about how homosexuality is sin, but none of them cares that it is considered a sin if they eat shrimps (it's mentioned four times more often in the bible than homosexuality alone, or so I've read) or that it is also a sin if they wear clothing knit from two kinds of textiles. They only see "Homosexuality is wrong" because that's what they want to see, and wouldn't admit that some ideas are a little outdated. This is what's holding me back, though I'd love to try to join the community, it might be enrichening in certain ways.
    Oh, I do not by any way hold anything against Christians, or any believers - some of them are very cool and good people, and some of them not, just like in any other community. There must be something magical about having faith, knowing, or, feeling that there's someone out there who's listening and cares. The whole idea: 'For some it is all they have', is actually very sad. But for the time being, I'll stick to my beloved science :3 Although I've already said before that religion and science do not have to automatically cancel each other out, as in you can either believe in one or the other. They might actually be complements of a whole.
    S.

    ReplyDelete